Thursday, July 28, 2011

Newspaper Reading

While I had already taken an into course on newspaper reading while studying at ICLP's program in Taiwan, I opted to take CET Harbin's introductory course on newspaper reading as well. Not only did I hope to reinforce my ability to read the newspaper in Chinese, have discussions on complex topics, and be able to write eloquently about a diverse range of subjects, I also hoped to reinforce what I was learning in my Classical Chinese course. Many of the common folk sayings and classical Chinese grammar forms I learned in that class are used commonly in the newspaper and taking the two classes simultaneously was certainly beneficial.


We read actual newspaper articles, did presentations on articles we had read on our own time, had deep discussions on everything from abortion to China's education system, and had a lot of fun. This was without a doubt my favorite class at CET-Harbin, though it was extremely challenging as the articles got very hard towards the end of the semester.

I can pick up a Chinese newspaper and read it with a dictionary and even without a dictionary I can read most of it. I strongly recommend this class to any future Light Fellows.

No comments:

Post a Comment